Tuesday, January 15, 2013

January 2013 Conscious Box Review!

Hey everyone!

So I decided to get Conscious Box again in December (I haven't finished the review on that yet) because they were offering a bonus product to all subscribers for a mishap they had in November, although I'm not sure if I can recall what it was about, since I didn't receive November's box. Plus, they were offering a great Cyber Monday deal where you could get a free month if you bought a 3 month subscription. So it looks like I'll be signed up for it until March! I also decided to purchase the Valentine's Day box, which came as a separate box from the actual February box. It's going to be an "adult-themed" box, which will vary from chocolate to other intimate things... if you catch my drift. They said they only made 100, so of course, I had to snatch one up! I actually can't wait to see what a Valentine's Day box will be like. Excited!

I've decided that since Conscious Box includes SO many samples, that I'm going to do their reviews in a different format than my usual ones. They don't include a list of their items in the box, since there are so many samples that usually come in them. And I'm sure it's also to be a little more environmentally friendly. So what I'm going to do is copy and paste the packing list that they email out to all their subscribers, insert my pictures, and then write about my personal thoughts on each product below it's description. Anything with quotations around it will be what was written by Conscious Box in their packing list. I usually don't get through trying everything right away, but I'd like for you guys to at least see what came in my box for the month. Is that good? Good!

Quick Rundown on Conscious Box:
- Subscription box full of pure and sustainable products
- Includes TONS of samples every month
- $19.95 a month including shipping (less if you get more months at a time)
- Vegan AND Gluten-Free option available now
- Ships out around the 7th-10th each month
- Ships through USPS
- Ships only to the US (including Hawaii and Alaska)
- No referral program

January's Conscious Box!


I always love the little cards that come in the box. It always contains some kind of uplifting or calming message. A much needed thing in the life of a stressed out, hectic paced, pharmacy student.



This month's postcard:
A unicorn! Without the horn.



Looks like this month's box was curated by personal trainer, Joel Harper!



What was in this month's box?

34 Degrees

"Bite into the more natural, thinner, crispier cracker. Perfect with your favorite cheeses or just on their own, 34 Degrees crackers are delectable treats suited for any culinary creation. Made with unbleached wheat flour, a hint of natural cheese flavor, sesame seeds, and a pinch of salt. Yum!"



My thoughts: These were pretty good. They were crisp, and light, although there was a flavor in there that I couldn't distinguish. It definitely wasn't the cheese flavor I had imagined, but perhaps it came from the sesame seeds. I liked these. They probably would go well with some fancy cheese.



Teeccino 
"Looking for a seriously superfood cereal? Check out Teechia, the high performance super seeds that pack a serious punch of fiber and protein. A bowl of Teechia will provides lasting energy with lasting satisfaction. Whip up a bowl and take your first spoonful of chia, quinoa, amaranth, ramon, and pumpkin seeds!"



Q.Bel 
"Don’t say we didn’t warn you. These crispy mint wafers are incredibly delicious and deserving of a savory taste bud addition. Non-GMO, whole grain, dairy-free, and made with 70% cacao makes this a healthy alternative to any cookie that might be stocking the pantry."

Update 1/17/13: I got to try these just now and they're delicious! I would definitely purchase these again, although I don't know if they would be good for my diet, being as the package is a total of 180 calories. It is nice that it's whole grain though and is made out of dark chocolate, so you don't feel as bad for indulging. My wafers were sitting next to my cold juice box in my bag, so mine were a little hard when I tried it, but I'm sure it would've had a better texture if I had eaten them at room temperature. Love mint. Love chocolate. Now I love Q.Bel.


Peeled Snacks 
"Who said snacking can’t be healthy? With 1 serving of fruit per bag, completely gluten-free and 100% organic, Peeled Snacks set the standard for healthy munching. No fat, no preservatives, and of course, non-GMO. A healthy serving of fiber will also help keep you full - move over potato chips!"

Update 1/17/13: Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to try these since Henry ended up putting it in his lunchbox for work! But he did report to me that they were good. A little bit of a denser snack than rice puff crisps but still crispy. I wish I had been able to try a piece so I could tell you more about it. They are gluten-free, so that's a plus!


Nutiva Hemp Seed 
"Hemp Seed is one of nature’s wonders, just now becoming re-celebrated by so many in the health community. These seeds are an incredible 33% protein and are filled with omegas perfect for building a better brain and body. Eat plain, add as a condiment, or mix in a shake. "

Update 1/17/13: Henry brought these to work and I wasn't able to try these either, but he also reported these as being good. Unfortunately, I couldn't get much more out of him about describing it except that it was also a little moist, which he liked. He ate them right out of the package.


BONUS! Nordic Naturals 
"Fish oils are great for supporting brain function, memory, and mood. The benefit comes from omega-3 and omega-9 oils, which have anti-inflammatory alongside anti-clotting benefits. Nordic Natural only uses the finest fish oils, third party tested for environmental toxins like heavy metals and dioxins. As a result, they produce fish oils that far surpass international standards."

My thoughts: At first, I was a little confused about why a capsule that you swallow had a "Great strawberry taste!" to it. But then I remembered that fish oil supplements produce a "fishy" burp, and thought it might actually be fun to try. And supporting brain function, memory, and mood? Sign me up, please! So I tore open the package, and downed the two very huge capsules. It actually does make me burp a little but alas, there is a very nice strawberry taste to it instead of a fishy one. It kind of tastes like when I'm sick and have eaten a bunch of strawberry Halls cough drops. I've heard great things about Nordic Naturals, and I'm really happy I got a chance to try it. As for the memory and mood... I will yet have to test that after I'm done with this review. I would definitely recommend this brand when I'm a pharmacist though. Best quality fish oils out there, I've heard.


Waxalene 
"Drop the old petroleum jelly and go with something more natural. Organic Soy oil, Beeswax, natural vitamin E, and organic rosemary oil makes this a healthy, nourishing moisturizer and base for everything from dry skin to make up. No petroleum, not greasy, completely biodegradable and free of animal testing."


Dale’s Raw Protein Bar 
"Dale has been whipping up some of the best raw food around for quite some time, and boy are we excited to be loading you up with one of his incredible bars. Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and loaded with protein, Dale knows what it takes to make an awesome treat. No artificial preservatives or sweeteners. Simple ingredients for a simply awesome snack. (PS. Don’t sweat the refrigeration suggestion. Dale suggests refrigerating to prevent falling apart in warmer climates.)"



Pamela’s Products 
"We fell in love with Pamela’s Products within the first bite. These wheat-free, gluten-free brownies are not only delicious, but they’re also super quick and easy to make. Pamela’s also regularly supports autism and celiac organizations, and is a member of the American Celiac Disease Alliance. Go Pamela’s!"


LARABAR 
"We’re excited to be trying out the Uber. What’s different? This bar has got big texture (along with big taste!). This gluten-free, non-GMO, all natural, and Kosher scrumptiously succulent bar is packed with a flavor profile that’ll stick to your memory without sticking to your teeth. No refined sugar and made with dry-roasted nuts (no oil added)."


MAAKOA 
"Koopuwa. Just say it a few times. It’s fun! Koopuwa! What is it? It’s a super food, super antioxidant, super-stimulating blend of phytonutrients with deliciously distinctive flavors coming right from fruits. Drink right from the pouch or mix with the morning smoothie to get all the CupuaƧu, Acai, red grape, pomegranate, and berry berry goodness inside!"


Chia Shots
"The Chia Co is proud to pumping out chia seeds all day long. Why’s that? Because Chia seeds are one of the richest plant-based sources of omega-3, dietary fiber, protein, and antioxidants. The Chia Co also works with nature to ensure sustainable agriculture; this means strategically timing crops, using the best soil, and enacting smart methods of growing, like gravity fed irrigation and chemical-free mechanical harvesting."


Tea Forte 
"Refresh yourself with this invigorating mint from Tea Forte. With a taste that will make your taste buds tingle, Tea Forte is the perfect follow up to lunch, the morning coffee, or anything else that might make your coworkers’ olfactory wonder what’s up. Fortified with antioxidants makes this a mint that helps support your body’s defenses too."

Update 1/17/13: These were really yummy! I have put them in my purse and the packaging is so cute. The flavor does ring true to "lime mojito", it definitely tastes like it. It's refreshing and just slightly minty with more of a sour taste to it. I also like that it's made by Tea Forte. I got to try some of their teas in my Popsugar Must Have box and they were delicious. I didn't know that they made mints also. I really liked the little "R" in "Resist", since it looks like an "Rx". ;)


These are just coupons that came in the box also.
Conscious box usually includes several of them each month.


Overall, I was pretty with this month's box. I usually am when it comes to Conscious Box. They always give plenty of new samples that I've usually never tried before. I usually try to price the items in the subscription boxes that I get to figure out if it's worth it or not. Conscious Box is one of the very few (if not only) subscription box that I don't apply this to, because they include so many small samples usually that it would be very difficult/impossible to price everything. I truly believe that with the amount of things that come in the box (13 in this box, up to 20 in other months I've gotten), it more than makes up for the value of the box. I do wish that we had gotten a sample of the chocolate macaroons in our box, which came in some others, but it's okay. Another critique is that I would've also liked to see samples other than edibles in box... sometimes they'll give out skin care samples or lip balm, and I would've loved to try something new in those categories. Since I haven't been able to try a lot of the items yet, I usually update as soon as I get a chance to try several things. I would recommend getting a Conscious Box. If you'd like to sign up for one, just refer to the links below!


Currently, I'm only subscribed to the regular one, as I'm not a Vegan, nor do I need Gluten-Free items in my diet... I wish I could try all of them, but it's one of the more pricier boxes. I am definitely content with my regular subscription though. I've tried some of their vegan boxes, and they were great as well. They also have excellent customer service, if you ever need to contact them!

Thanks for reading!

TheRxNina

No comments:

Post a Comment