Thursday, January 3, 2013

December 2012 My Glam Bag by Ipsy Review

So I'm stuck on my couch vegetating wondering if I should be studying before my break is over, or if I should be blogging and catching up on my reviews. Obviously, I chose blogging. ;) But I'll get to my school work eventually.

I really recommend getting a Google Chromebook for those who are just ordinary people that use their computers for browsing the internet. I definitely would have gotten my mom one if they had been out then. She just uses her laptop for checking emails, and since then, she's gotten a smartphone which can check emails. So basically, she spent $700 on a laptop for only checking emails... which she probably uses very infrequently now that she has her Galaxy SIII. Google had a really smart idea making the Chromebook. It's inexpensive and everyone can have a way to access the internet. They are going to take over the world, I swear. I was just telling a friend yesterday that I remember when I was younger and I had learned html just to be able to figure out how to put pictures and icons into my xanga blog and bold words. The times have definitely changed. Anyway, let's get on to the review! I do love my new Chromebook though. Thanks hunnie. :)

Since this isn't my first review of Ipsy, here's a quick rundown of what you should know about them.

Here's a rundown of the things to know about My Glam Bag by Ipsy:
- $10/month including shipping (Canada - extra $4.95 for shipping)
- Receive 4-5 beauty products each month
- Ships to US and Canada only- Shipped by USPS (for US shipping)
- Started by Michelle Phan
- Community participation with other Ipsters on the website
- No referral program

I was, again, so happy with what I got in this month's bag. And I even got a bonus! See below. Sorry for the bad lighting. I prefer natural sunlight better for taking photos but it was a little overcast this morning. It came out okay though, didn't it?

In the mad holiday rush of cleaning up for our Christmas party, I misplaced a lot of my subscription box cards and coupons. This month's card being one of them. So, unfortunately, I don't have the card to show you for this month. If I come across it, I'll update with a photo of it. :)



Mai Couture Highlighter Paper, Be a Bombshell Lip Gloss in Hot Mess, Mirabella Prime for Face and Eyes, Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Zero, Urban Decay Naked Skin Beauty Balm, and NYX Ultra Pearl Loose Shadow in Mocha Pearl

Total value:
$72.74
$77.30 (Including the Urban Decay Naked Skin Beauty Balm)




Mai Couture Highlighter Paper - $25.00/50 sheets - $12.50 for this sample of 25 sheets

I haven't been able to try this out yet, but it looks lovely. I'm not very good at using highlighter, so I'm going to have to watch more tutorials when I have time. I would say that knowing how to highlight your face is an art, and I just don't have the time to pick up a new hobby at the moment. This will probably stay in my "to use" box for a while. Sheets do sound like an easy way to apply highlighter though, and you all know I'm absolutely FOR anything that makes putting on makeup quicker and easier. I will update once I try it!




Mirabella Prime For Face and Eyes - $29/0.45 oz - $29.00 for this full size sample

This was a full sized product that was included in the bag! It's a really nice primer that's made in California. This was the higher end item that was in included in this month's bag. I haven't been able to use it on my face quite yet, since I've been using my BB cream this month and you don't need a primer for BB cream. But I was able to test it on my hand, and I could definitely see a difference in the lines in my hand. I spot tested it up in the pics above, but I'm not sure if the pictures do it justice. I tend to break out really easily with primers though. I tried Smashbox primer for a little while and it made me break out a lot, so I will be sure to update once I start using this primer more frequently. It feels very nice on my hand though and it's non-greasy.



Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Zero - $19.00/0.04 US oz - $14.25 for this 0.03 US oz sample

I was so happy to see this in our December bag. But not because I wanted to try it. Only because I already have it in my arsenal supply and love it! It's definitely one of my favorite eye pencils to use, although they're very pricey. The line goes on very smooth and if you use it with the Urban Decay primer, it usually stays put pretty well. Unfortunately, I have hooded eyes and they get oily throughout the day, so after about 5 hours, I can start to see it smudging in the creases above my eyelids. I used to use it a lot but I've been content with the Be a Bombshell Gel felt-tip liner that came in my October Glam Bag, which still hasn't dried up yet amazingly! I probably won't have to buy an eyeliner for a while though since we basically get one every month in the bags. I've got a lot of eyeliners to use up.






Be a Bombshell Lip Gloss in Hot Mess - $14.00/0.11 oz - $14.00 for this full sized sample

I haven't been able to wear this color yet either. I was planning to, but it was so hectic Christmas and New Year's that I barely had time to think about what clothes I was going to put on those days! I was really hoping to wear this out for New Year's Eve (my birthday), but we ended up going to a family party rather than going out (where I could actually get away with wearing a bright bold red lipgloss). I did swatch it though and it seems like it would be really pretty on my medium/tan skin. I am also hesitant to open it and use it because I already have so many open lip glosses that I am not even close to finishing! I'm thinking that I'm going to have to buy some disposable lip applicators so I can try out all these new glosses without contaminating them. I will update with a picture once I wear it! :)




NYX Loose Pearl Eye Shadow in Mocha Pearl - $2.99/0.06 fl oz - $2.99 for this full sized sample

This is the first loose eye shadow I've ever had. I am not really a fan of products that are "loose" only because I'm a pretty clumsy person. And of course, when I opened it up to swatch it, there was some powder stuck in the cap and I got it all over my pants, which is why my swatch up there is all over the place. I ended up rubbing my hand all over the powder on the pants. So I apologize for the splotchy swatch, but it is a nice mocha gold color. I'm not sure how often I would use this though, only because it is very messy and complicated, which doesn't mesh well with my philosophy of beauty products. I will either give this to a friend who is used to loose powders, or use it only when I have time and I'm getting ready for a nice night out (which isn't very often). The color isn't so dark or bold that it can't be used for everyday wear, but it would just take too much time out of my morning just for eye shadow. And I don't usually wear eye shadow everyday anyway. My Urban Decay palette has a similar color and it goes on very nice (and easy).

Last, but not least! My surprise bonus product!








Urban Decay Naked Skin Beauty Balm - $38.00/1 fl oz - $4.56 for this .12 fl oz sample

I was so so excited to see this in my bag, because I love trying new BB creams! I went through a very crazy phase of ordering BB cream samples from Korea to try (since they have the best), and also asking for samples of some US brands from Sephora and Clinique. I haven't been able to post my very lengthy review of these creams yet though because there are just so many and I started writing subscription box reviews instead. I will be sure to put this in my list of BB creams that I've reviewed if I ever get to post it though. I was also excited to get it because it means that I've been noticed by Ipsy for my blogging, AND that this BB cream isn't even on the shelves yet. According to the card that it came with, it will be released on January 8th exclusively on UrbanDecay.com.

I've tried it once or twice, and it goes on very light, and does even up my skin tone. As you can see from the picture above, it matches pretty well with my medium/tan skin. I believe it will only come in one color from what I can find on the website. It didn't make me breakout more, which is nice. Unfortunately, the downside to this BB cream is that it doesn't provide much coverage in covering up any blemishes. I had a few unsightly pimples right in the middle of my forehead that day (I usually don't break out, but when I do, it has to be in the most obvious part of my face), and I was hoping it would help kind of smooth them out like my Missha Perfect Cover BB cream does, but alas, it did not. The Urban Decay Naked Skin BB cream would probably be a good choice for a BB cream if you never have blemishes, and you only need a light SPF. I live in Arizona, where there is plenty of sunshine, so I prefer a higher SPF even though I am not out in the sun very often. Better to be safe than sorry. The UD BB cream has an spf of 20, while my Missha BB cream has an spf of 42. Urban Decay claims in its little information package it came in, that it will improve skin quality after 8 weeks of using it. Of course, I can't attest to these claims without buying the full size product, so I can update what results I see after a few days, as that's probably how long the sample would last me. I probably wouldn't purchase this though because it is pricier than my Missha BB cream and doesn't provide any blemish coverage. You would have to use a separate concealer for that, while with my Missha BB cream, I don't have to (unless it's a really huge blemish). I haven't found a BB cream that provides as much coverage and color matching as my Missha does (I wear #27 in honey beige, although I could probably get away with the #23 during winter months). If the Urban Decay BB cream offered more coverage, I would probably try out the full size. Some people do prefer the lighter coverage though, as with foundation, everyone has their own preferences. It does look very natural, but if I'm going to pay so much for a BB cream, I would like it to actually make my skin look much better than it actually is without anything on it, while still looking natural. I feel like the Missha achieves this perfectly. I've heard in Korea, the Missha brand is more of what teenagers wear, but it's cheap and it works! I love Urban Decay, but I don't have nice enough skin to use this new BB cream. I'll update with my thoughts once I've used up the sample.

Overall, December's month's products were definitely another win! I mean, with the value of the bag alone $77.30, and what you pay for it ($10), it's completely worth it. Ipsy does the BEST job of giving you your money's worth. I am actually supposed to be cutting down on my subscription boxes, but I don't think I will be giving up this one, only because you get so much value for your money's worth. I've also been able to try products that I would have tried otherwise. Sure, I'm starting to build up more products than I can actually use, but all I know is that when I go shopping at Sephora to buy products, I always end up spending at least $50. Paying $10 a month is not bad, and you can always save the products you don't end up using to give as gifts or stocking stuffers for Christmas. Ipsy is one of the best beauty subscription boxes out there! I would definitely recommend.

Also, if you want some sneak peeks of what's going to be in the upcoming month's bag, I would recommend following them on facebook as they usually post spoilers on their page. And a lot of people can tell what it is by looking at the blurry picture, so you can find out if you'd want to sign up for that month's bag that way. OR, if you don't like your surprises ruined, I would definitely recommend NOT following them as they do post those sneek peeks.

Thanks for reading!

TheRxNina

.: Update! Found the card! See below:.



No comments:

Post a Comment