Thursday, January 3, 2013

December 2012 Love With Food Review! - Best one so far

I loved loved loved this month's Love With Food box!

It was actually one of my favorites out of all my December boxes. A big part of that is because I really enjoyed every single item in the box and that's really rare for me. There's always something with food that I usually don't care for like banana, mango, or some other type of flavoring that I'm really particular about, but I absolutely adored everything I got this month. I ended up gifting a lot of my family either a 3 or 6-month subscription to Love With Food, as I was able to score a really great deal on them through Groupon. I'm hoping more subscription boxes have deals through Groupon or Living Social since it's a really smart way to get people hooked, like I did.

Quick rundown on what you need to know about Love With Food:

- Foodie Subscription Box (one of the least expensive options out there)
- $12 a month (and gets cheaper when you buy 6 months at a time)
- For every box that's sold, they donate a meal to a hungry child (you can see how many meals have been given out through Love With Food here)
- Awesome referral program (earning points that you can trade in for full sized items)

Anyway, let's get to the good stuff!

(By the way, I have to say again, that I freaking love my camera on my Samsung Galaxy S3. It's so much better than the pictures I used to post in the beginning of my blogging. :P)



I really wish they would put the prices of the full sized items on the card.

I favor the subscription boxes that include pricing of their items since it's very open and honest, and you have an approximation of if you're getting a good deal in the box.
I would say if the items in the box are worth at least twice as much as you paid for it, it's a pretty good deal, and you're definitely getting your money's worth.
As with all subscription boxes, since it's random and usually unknown of what you will be getting, there is a good chance that you'll get something you like out of the box, and some things that you don't like. Having a high value box makes up for getting items that you wouldn't use normally or enjoy, since it's more seen as a bonus than something that you paid for. A lot of subscription box companies get this concept and try to keep the value of the box high, so that people who don't enjoy some of the items in the box don't feel like they're being gipped. Love With Food seems to do a good job with this, as far as I can tell.



I apologize for the glare and dark lighting. It was a little cloudy on Christmas, so I had a bit of trouble getting my pictures right. The individual item pictures look better though.



Holiday Salt Water Taffy from Taffy Town

These were really pretty and cute, although I couldn't quite put my finger on distinguishing which flavors I got. In any case, I would say that they were just okay, since I couldn't really distinguish what made them better from other salt water taffy candies I've tried in the past.

Candy Cane Truffle from Kara Chocolates

These were one of my favorites from the box. I love peppermint and I love chocolate. And I love truffles. So it was the trifecta of all the things I adore in one. Although, on the card, it looks completely different than what I got in the box. My truffles that I unwrapped were definitely not topped with bits of candy cane. They were as smooth as a baby's bottom (I think I've been watching too much Little Rascals over the break). Delicious though. They just melted in your mouth with a slight hint of peppermint. If I had more of them here, I'd have been in trouble. Would definitely purchase these!

Chocolate Tasting Square from Madecasse

I got one in milk chocolate and one in dark chocolate to sample. I thought they were just okay, although I did prefer the milk chocolate better. They didn't melt in your mouth like a good chocolate should. I still prefer Godiva chocolate or Ritter over these. It's always nice to get chocolate to try though, especially in months where they won't melt all over the place in your mailbox.




Honey Cinnamon Almonds from Nunes Farms

These were okay. The flavor was good, but they didn't have that roasty crunch! that I usually like in my almonds. They actually seemed a little stale to me... but maybe that's just me. I just know that I didn't finish it in one sitting, and that's usually a bad sign. They weren't horrible or anything, just okay.

Belgian Milk Chocolate-Dipped Nutter Butter from the Big Chocolate Dipper

This was my absolute FAVORITE out of all the things that came in the box. I don't even really like nutter butters that much, but this was so delicious. In fact, I started eating it while my boyfriend was in the shower and had no self control to save him a little bit to try. Yes, that's how good it was. I felt kinda bad. But I was so elated from the silky chocolate, crisp crunch from the toffee bits and cookie, that I didn't feel THAT bad. I was actually hoping to trade in my points for more of these babies, but by the time I visited the website, they were sold out. The Love With Food community is getting pretty competitive. I should stay on top of my game next time. Highly recommend. And with a company name like the Big Chocolate Dipper? Aces in my book. Top notch, good fellow.



Gingerbread Boy from Nikki's Cookies

I was so happy to see this in the box! I haven't had a gingerbread man (I mean, boy) in so very long. Look how cute he is! And his backside was covered in white chocolate. Mmm... just how I like it. ;) But all innuendos aside, he was pretty yummies. I shared some with my almost sister in law and her husband and they all seemed to like it. The flavor was light, not too gingery, and the white chocolate not overbearingly sweet. It actually went pretty well with my Trader Joe's Spicy Chai Latte I made that morning. Of course, it could have been a little lighter in texture. I felt like I had to bite in pretty hard and there was a lot of crunch there, and not light airy crunch like with the nutter butter. That's my only criticism though. Other than that, I enjoyed my gingerbread boy.

Mocha Mint Cappuccino from Hills Brothers

I am actually saving this one for a morning when I have class. I'm hoping it'll be a decent replacement for my usual peppermint mocha latte from Starbucks. I will update once I try it!



Fleur de Sel Caramel Popcorn from 479 Popcorn

I thought these were pretty good too. Everyone I gave a box to this Christmas thought the popcorn was delicious. The sea salt added with the caramel hit your tongue just right. And the popcorn was light and airy. I could barely stop myself from eating it all so Henry could have a try. I would probably like to try other flavors of this brand. Of course, we just received a popcorn maker for Christmas, so we'll probably be experimenting with ours for a while before we go and buy new popcorn.

Overall, I loved my December Love With Food box. Even though it's the least expensive out of all the subscription boxes for food, I think they put a lot of thought and care into choosing their samples. And I absolutely love their points system. I'm up to about 6,000 points now since I've bought all my family a subscription for Christmas, which I can use to redeem full sized items from their shop (not for boxes, unfortunately). I got a deal off Groupon for my subscription, so I'm really paying about $6 a month for mine. Pretty spoiled right now, definitely. I'm still undecided on whether or not I will be willing to pay the $12 a month for it when my 6 months is over. I really enjoy getting the box, but I've got some new year's resolutions to keep! Anyway, if you're a foodie, I would definitely recommend trying it. I know my family seemed to like it, and I'm sure that when it keeps coming every month, they'll enjoy those too.

If you'd like to sign up, please use my link! It'd be greatly appreciated as I don't get any type of compensation for my reviews. I just love doing them. :)

Also, I'm always keeping a lookout for deals and discounts on subscription boxes on places like Groupon or Livingsocial, so if you'd like to be alerted on that, please go to my facebook page and hit "like"! I also post new reviews on there if you're interested in those. In any case, I am so thankful for my audience, and as always...

Thanks for reading!

TheRxNina

No comments:

Post a Comment